Rechercher dans ce blog

Sunday, May 28, 2023

What does it mean to be Asian American today? - Insider

Padma Lakshmi, television host, author, and philanthropist

Padma Lakshmi in front of a purple background
Padma Lakshmi is the creator and host of "Taste the Nation," advocate for immigrant rights, and author of cookbooks, a memoir, and children's book.
Padma Lakshmi/Anthony Jackson, Tyler Le/Insider

What does it mean to be Asian American to you?

I think being Asian American is multi-faceted: There are many cultures under that umbrella. It's at least 100 languages. It's also 40% of the world's population, and a big economic powerhouse.

And while the numbers are staggering, I do feel a kinship with other Asians. There's a shared value system — respect for elders, closeness to extended family, focus on education, work ethic and temperament. On the other hand, being from India is very different than being from Japan, for example. There are vast differences culturally, and also culinarily, just to name a couple. 

Is there a memory that comes to mind of a moment that crystallized what being "Asian American" meant to you?

I think the Muslim ban and the vilification of immigrants in general during the 2016 presidential election was a seminal moment. It galvanized not only my solidarity with other Asian Americans but also all immigrants.

I started working with the ACLU at this time on immigrant rights. After a few years of this, I decided to dedicate myself to doing something in my professional life that addressed the same issues on an artistic level. And that's how my Hulu show "Taste the Nation" was born.

My memoir, "Love, Loss and What We Ate," is also an Asian American story because it discusses themes that are relevant to our community.  It tells not only my story but this country's story in many ways.

I also wrote my children's book, "Tomatoes for Neela," so that Asian American kids as well as biracial kids could see themselves and learn about our foods. There's even a recipe for chutney in the back for families to try. My Asian American identity fuels everything I do.

What do you love about being Indian American? 

I love celebrating Diwali with all our friends and family here in New York. Over the years our get-togethers have bloomed into something everyone looks forward to. It's a chance to enjoy and share the music, food, and rituals of our culture with those we love — and also pass it down to my daughter and her cousins.

Adblock test (Why?)



"asian" - Google News
May 27, 2023 at 06:05PM
https://ift.tt/u40Q8Ps

What does it mean to be Asian American today? - Insider
"asian" - Google News
https://ift.tt/TXH1elP
Shoes Man Tutorial
Pos News Update
Meme Update
Korean Entertainment News
Japan News Update

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Featured Post

Rubin Museum, Haven for Asian Art, to Close After 20 Years - The New York Times

It is the first major art museum in New York to close within recent memory. The museum had financial challenges and has faced accusations o...

Postingan Populer