Rechercher dans ce blog

Tuesday, May 11, 2021

I'm Asian. My parents are white. How do I process anti-Asian violence? - Today.com - Today.com

“I don’t think it’s ever been easy for me to identify as an Asian person. I sort of inherited my parents’ colorblindness toward myself. Seeing the attacks in Atlanta, I was almost left wondering, 'Is this really my community?' Because I’ve never been seen as a member of this community. Whenever I met Asian people, they would tell me, 'Oh, you’re not really Asian.'

I didn't talk to my parents that day. However, I did speak to another one of my white family members. He said to me, 'You know, when it happened, I didn’t even really think of you, because I don’t really see you as an Asian person. You’re just Lauren.' That’s something that was rampant throughout my childhood: 'We don’t see color.' I know it’s rooted in a place of love. I know it’s rooted in, 'We love you so much, we don’t see you as different from us.' But it’s almost like they don’t see me. It’s this constant battle to be seen all the time, which can be really difficult."

Lauren J. Sharkey, 34, author of “Inconvenient Daughter,” in Philadelphia

Adblock test (Why?)



"asian" - Google News
May 11, 2021 at 09:48AM
https://ift.tt/2R7ZFQk

I'm Asian. My parents are white. How do I process anti-Asian violence? - Today.com - Today.com
"asian" - Google News
https://ift.tt/2STmru2
Shoes Man Tutorial
Pos News Update
Meme Update
Korean Entertainment News
Japan News Update

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Featured Post

Rubin Museum, Haven for Asian Art, to Close After 20 Years - The New York Times

It is the first major art museum in New York to close within recent memory. The museum had financial challenges and has faced accusations o...

Postingan Populer